The 129th Assault Helicopter Company (AHC), began operations in 1970 still in support of the Capital Republic of Korea Infantry Division (CRID), LOCATED IN Military Region 2. Resupply missions and combat assaults accounted for most of our efforts, as in the first operation of the year, Dok Soori 7Q. The operation began the 6th of January in support of the 3rd Battalion of the "Tiger" Division's Cavalry Regiment at Dok So Ou. The assault which was small scale, covering the area surrounding Dok So Ou, ended three days later with eight enemy KIA's and six individual weapons captured.

At the same time, Operation Jang Bi 1 began in support of the 1st Battalion, 26th Regiment in an area northwest of Phu Cat. Before the operation ended, another small scale operation, Joong Jak, began on the 10th of January. The new operation required 12 of the 129ths "slicks" to insert 300 Korean soldiers and a fire team to support a battalion of the Cavalry Regiment. Both operations ended on 12 January yielding 30 enemy KIA's and 12 individuals, and 2 crew served weapons captured.

As Joong Jak ended, the 22nd Regiment requested helicopter support for smaller battalion operations. By 16 January the operations ended with 26 enemy KIA's, 17 individuals, and one crew served weapon captured.

The remainder of the month was completed with the unit flying routine missions for CRID and enduring the prevailing monsoon.


Only one major operation was conducted by the 129th AHC in February. Battalion size elements of CRID launched Operation Wol Gae on 12 February. Each day the company provided from ten to twelve "slicks" and at least one gun team to work in the Go Boy Plains north of Qui Nhon. The operation continued throughout February and terminated on 4 March. During this time the tally of enemy KIA's totaled 330 with 194 individuals and 28 crew served weapons captured.


Upon termination of Operation Wol Gae the company reverted to normal missions for CRID until 12 March. On 6 March one flareship and light fire team responded to a tactical emergency of a Vietnamese Army compound near the 26th Regimental Headquarters at Song Cau which was under attack. The armed helicopter platoon "Cobras" were credited with eight enemy KBA's.

On 12 March, operation Zon Jin 2 had begun in support of six company size elements of the CRID Cavalry Regiment. This operation was followed two days later by Jae Goo 1 involving four companies of the 1st Regiment. On 20 March a third operation, Jan Gal 2, got under way to support six companies of the 26th Regiment. By 26 March all operations were completed with a total of 18 enemy KIA's and the capture of 10 individual weapons.


During the first three weeks of April the unit again reverted to normal missions in support of CRID. On 22 April the ROK "White Horse" Infantry Division launched Operation Dock Su Ri. The 129th AHC provided tow light fire teams and six "slicks" for the six flights which inserted an infantry regiment and ten TAC CP's in an area west of Phu Hiep.

Six days later, the area of operations was moved thirty miles west of Tuy Hoa. Six infantry battalions and eight TAC CP's were moved into the area from Tuy Hoa North.
Follow on missions also included resupplying those troops, the majority of which were located in small, nearly inaccessible LZ's surrounded either by tall trees or elephant grass.
High winds and density altitudes rendered the operation extremely difficult.


The final phase of Dock Su Ri began on 2 May requiring 12 129th AHC aircraft. The entire operation which began on 22 April resulted in 78 enemy KIA's, 3 prisoners, 52 individual and 8 crew served weapons captured.

The first few days of the month of May was occupied with small scale operations supporting various companies of CRID. Upon commencement of the Cambodian Operation on 5 May the 129th AHC supported the US 4th Infantry Division. The first five days were spent lifting Division troops from Plei Djerang into Cambodia and with the aircraft returning to Pleiku at night.
Our aircraft returned to Lane for a two day break while the operation continued in Cambodia. Returning to Pleiku on 13 May we began extraction of the 4th Infantry Division and assisted its movement east toward An Kho. At the completion of the operation the aircraft returned to Lane AHP and joined the remainder of the 129th AHC which had been supporting smaller operations for CRID. These small operations resulted in 223 enemy KIA's, 7 prisoners and 98 weapons captured.


The 129th AHC remained in support of CRID AND THE us 4TH Infantry Division
during June. Eight of our ships still commuted to An Khe daily to support the 4th Division missions, normally to aid in establishing fire support bases. The company assisted in the establishment of Fire Support Base Chippawa, Kiowa, Cheyenne, John Henry, Amelia, Armaggedden, and Niagra.

On 10 June the ROK Division began Operation Doc Thu five miles southwest of the Cavalry Regiment's main command post. Contact was made with a company size NVA element and a combat assault was conducted into the area. By 20 June the operation ended and NVA KIA's numbered 223. Seven prisoners, ninety-one individual weapons, and seven crew served weapons were captured. Our "Cobras" were given credit for over twenty KBA's.

Even as operation Doc Thu was in progress aircraft of the 129th AHC continued to support the 4th Infantry Division., Typical missions included resupply and small troop relocations usually into LZ's among 150 foot trees. The missions frequently required the use of slings to drop supplies through the trees to the ground.

A final operation into Cambodia involved the movement of Cambodians and Montagnards from an airstrip 15 miles inside the border to an LZ at Duc Co Airstrip. The movement, conducted mostly in NVA territory, lasted 2 days.


The month began with few significant operations. 129th aircraft were employed in routine support missions to Korean outposts. The US 4th Infantry Division also utilized our aircraft for resupply missions and several small combat assaults in the An Lo Valley near An Khe. These missions required from six to eight "slicks" each day.

On 16 July the Capital ROK Infantry Division embarked on Operation Ho Rang 22, which was to continue throughout the month. Eight 129th "slicks" and two fire teams joined with other assault helicopter companies to form ten flights which conducted operations in the Soul Cao Valley. Three infantry regiments, nine battalion TAC CP's, and three regimental TAC CP's were inserted. At the end of the operation 97 enemy troops were killed and the Koreans had captured 2 prisoners, 110 individual and 13 crew served weapons.

Our company also provided support to several ARVN units during the month. These missions involved LRRP insertions out of LZ'S English, Uplift, and Crystal.


Only one major operation was scheduled for August. Until its outset, the 129th AHC provided logistical and tactical support to CRID and occasionally to the 22nd ARVN Division. On 25 August our resources were diverted to operation Nu Chung Sha, initiated by the 1st Regiment, CRID. The operation continued through the remainder of the month and ended on 9 September with 37 enemy KIA's, 14 individual and 1 crew served weapon captured.


Upon completion of Operation Mu Chung Wha the unit returned to normal resupply and small combat assault missions. Many of these were in support of CRID; however, our support for the 22nd ARVN Division increased gradually throughout the month. The missions were short but numerous and kept unit activity on a high level.


Small scale operations continued into October in support of the Capital ROK Infantry Division and the 22nd ARVN Division. CRID initiated Operation Dol Phung on 8 October. This assault involved the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 26th Regiment, the 2nd Battalion of the Cavalry Regiment, and 2nd Battalion, 1st Regiment. Sixty aircraft from various units supported the operation and although ground fog covered most of the area of operations 14 miles northwest of Phu Cat causing a delay in the first lift, the combat assault was successful. Sixty-three enemy KIA's, The capture of one prisoner, 45 individual and four crew served weapons, and one radio were noted as Operation Dol Phung ended 29 October.

Aviation support during the rest of the month was impaired by heavy rain and floods. Numerous resupply missions were unable to be flown and several aircraft were requested to fly rescue missions for Korean patrols and Vietnamese Nationals trapped by flood waters.


Inclement weather continued into November causing many mission delays. The 22nd ARVN and ROK Infantry Divisions continued to receive most of the aviation support provided by the 129th AHC.

No large unit combat assaults were supported by the company during November and December. Normal missions consisted of resupply of Korean and ARVN outposts, command and control and administrative flights.